Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Ahhh! Woooh! What's happening? Who am I? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? What do I mean by who am I?"--The Surprised Sperm Whale

I'm dizzy. Physically but mostly mentally. I'm rapidly moving up the chain at J Crew-- I'm good at sales-- it's in the blood what can I say? And I'm starting to feel separated from my PhD-self. I've been working on my writing sample which def helps but it feels really weird to be good at two things as different as retail sales and political science. Although I could make the strong case that they are very similar-- I approach both looking at them as problems to be solved by understanding the specific goals of the individuals involved.
Okay so I guess it makes sense in my mind BUT it's still quite confusing.
I JUST WANT TO BE IN A PHD PROGRAM!
Yet the success I'm getting is immediate recognition in my new retail job while my PhD success is buried underneath numerous hoops through which I must still jump.
It's so frustrating to sit down with my writing sample and personal statement and realize that what I write directly impacts my future. Obviously I can't let myself follow that train of thought but it's there just the same.
Hopefully I don't have to work this afternoon because Alec and I are hoping to go hiking and that would really help to clear my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment